“When a flower doesn’t bloom you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower”
Uterine fibroids is a condition that an overwhelming number of black women suffer from. Women of African descent are more likely to develop fibroids. In fact, some studies find that up to 90% of black women will develop fibroids in their lifetime. This is alarming, but it doesn’t have to be a reality. In this article I will reveal the truth about fibroids; what fibroids are, the causes of fibroids, symptoms of fibroids and lastly how to eradicate them with natural and holistic remedies The body, especially the womb has the miraculous ability to heal itself if given the right conditions.
What are Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are muscular tumors that grow on the uterus. They are abnormal, but nealry 99% of them are benign (noncancerous). They are solid, firm, compact and are made of smooth muscles and fibrous connective tissue in the uterus. A woman could have a single fibroid or there may be many tumors. Fibroids can range in size from being as small as an apple seed or grow to be big as a grapefruit.
What Causes Uterine Fibroids?
Western modern medicine will tell you that the cause is of uterine fibroids is unknown, or it may be genetic. What we do know is that fibroids are dependent on estrogen for their growth. They grow rapidly during pregnancy, and when birth control and estrogen treatments are present in a woman’s system. Uterine fibroids will often shrink or disappear completely during and after menopause when estrogen levels decrease naturally.
Uterine fibroids exist becaue there is a hormonal imbalance and dis-ease in the womb. Louise Hay, author of Heal Your Body explains the mental thought patterns that cause fibroids is due to a blow to the feminine ego or nursing a hurt from a partner.
Dr. Catherine Kousimine explains that when the liver is unable to detoxify the system, a “second” liver is created in the form of a fibroid to store toxins and maintain equilibrium.
Rosemary Gladstar explains that she heard an explanation where “a fibroid is a replacement or a mourning for what one wishes she was growing in her uterus”. This may or may not be a child. The womb is the seat of creativty for all women, so it may be an idea, a dream, or a hope. Not only another life. “The body speaks the mind”.
Symptoms of Fibroids
Women who have fibroids may experience the following:
- Heavy bleeding (which can be heavy enough to cause anemia) or painful periods
- Feeling of fullness in the lower stomach area
- Enlargement of the lower abdomen
- Frequent urination
- Pain during sex
- Lower back pain
- Complications during pregnancy and labor, including a six-time greater risk of cesarean section
- preterm delivery
- breeched baby
- placental abruption
- Reproductive problems
Natural Therapies for Uterine Fibroids
Western modern medicine seems to be obsessed with prodding, opening and cutting the black woman’s womb. African American women are more likely to undergo invasive, surgical procedures to remove fibroids. African American women are 2.4 times more likely to undergo a hysterectomy than their white counterparts.
I want to provide you with a list of natural therapies that will create the right environment in which the body can heal and rid itself of uterine fibroids. It generally takes three to six full menstrual cycles for most growths to shrink or disappear, so patience and consistency is required. If the uterine growths are much larger then it may take longer.
- Avoid estrogenic foods. Remember, fibroids grow with the presence of estrogen. Eliminate dairy, eggs, meat and soy from your diet as much as possible.
- Eat a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Diet is more imporant than any of us realize when it comes to our uterine health.
- Consider getting off birth control, removing IUDs and stopping hormone replacement therapy. The excess estrogen in contraceptives feed fibroids and will cause them to grow and impede your ability to shrink them.
- Use feminine hygeine products with 100% organic cotton only. The harmful chemicals in feminine hygeine products are absorbed through the vaginal walls and enter the bloodstream. This can disrupt the hormonal balance of the womb.
- Vaginal Steaming. Vaginal steaming is very effective in shrinking fibroid tumors. To learn more about vaginal steaming, click here .
- Drink 2-3 cups of Cleansing Fire Herbal Tea daily . This tea will cleanse and strenthen the liver to balance hormone levels in the body.
- Address the underlying mental thought patterns that cause dis-ease in the body. Identify the areas where your divine feminine energy has been misued. Identify the hurt and pain that you have buried but is not truly dead.
We are our greatest healers and we have the power to create the right enviroment where health and healing can thrive. Fibroids can be shrunk naturally without invasive procedures. Heavy painful periods do not have to be our reality month after month. Our wombs are the seat of creativity, the source of our strength and the bedrock of our divinity. We must no longer reliquinsh our power and instead pull on the inherent wisdom within to self-heal.
Kathleen, “The Nutritional Truth Teller” is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant, and a Certified Vaginal Steam Facilitator. She is the owner of Beauty In A Barbell Nutrition, whose sole mission is to optimize the physical, mental, and spiritual health of the Black community through African Holistic Health. She carries with her the ancestral knowledge and wisdom of the medicine men, women, healers and warriors she lovingly calls her ancestors.